TESOD Start

TESOD Start
TESOD Start

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

All Racing Postponed for the Day

I woke up this morning to very overcast skies and blustery winds. My back was still sore, but it does feel like it is on the mend. I went to the club, and sure enough, the conditions offshore were incredibly rough. 30 knot winds, waves breaking and it looks like rain to top it off. The Race Committee made the decision to postpone all races for the day, I did not see a single competitor complain about the decision. The plan is to come back tomorrow and see what the conditions bring. Unfortunately the forecast for tomorrow looks very much like today, so there is a significant chance that races will be postponed tomorrow. That being the case, we will race on the lay day (Thursday) to make up for the lost day.

Forecast for the remainder of the week looks like the wind going a little lighter on Thursday, but with rain. Then nice and sunny for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, however the lows will be in the 40s with highs only around 60. It will be interesting to see what the wind dows on those days. Any time anyone says anything about the weather here, the response is "welcome to England." I can imagine that it can get quite depressing here not seeing the sun for such long periods of time.

Since I have the day off today, I am going to the Gun Wharf here in Portsmouth to visit the HMS Victory as well as the newly recovered Mary Rose. I have been looking forward to seeing the Victory for some time, I have never seen a true Line of Battle Ship, The Victory is a triple decker with around 300 guns. Compare that to Old Ironsides (the Constitution), which is a single decker frigate with less than 100 guns, and that is as big as it got in the US. I have visited the Constitution and the Constellation (small frigate or sloop of war), and I imagine the massiveness of the Victory will be something to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment