TESOD Start

TESOD Start
TESOD Start

Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 6

Wow, tough day out there today. Beautiful day, sunny skies, and the sea breeze once again filled in strongly. Start was once again at 1 p.m. and I watched to two fleets ahead of us work up the windward leg, and it looked like the right side was really paying off. Set myself up perfectly on the boat for a good start and got fouled by a Dominican twice at the start. He did his turns, but it slowed me getting out to the right like I wanted. There were about 5 of us that worked the right side pretty hard, and early it looked good, but at the top of the leg, it was horrible as we all trailed the fleet to the mark. Held my position on the reach and passed a couple of boats downwind, and went for the right gate, and went hard left on the upwind. This helped as I was able to claw back about 12 or 13 boats on the upwind leg, and passed a couple more downwind to finish 26.

It was getting tough out there, and I forgot my protein bars on shore. Mistake as I could feel I did not have the energy I needed out there. Wind seemed to increase a little to 17 or so in the 2nd race, and I went for the pin, and went left, but would you believe but the right side paid of big this time, and once again I was in a position with lots of opportunity ahead of me. Once again worked through the fleet through the race, only to find out when I got ashore that I was over early on the start. From the pin end it is impossible to hear the sounds from the signal boat, and with everyone over your shoulder, there is no looking back to the boat for the X-Ray flag. Ah well, not like I was doing that great anyway, and if I am never over early I guess I am never close enough.

Once again the plane in was awesome, that is one of the reasons I love to sail Lasers so much. Tomorrow is not looking great with regard to wind, so who knows what will happen. I am not sure why they don't think the sea breeze will fill since it will be about the same high temperature as today, and sunny skies (I think). Should be prime for a sea breeze. Ah well, we will see. I am going to pick up the trailer on the way over tomorrow so we can pack up right after racing. The closing ceremony is in Halifax at the Cunard Center starting at 8 p.m.

South Africa playing Australia at 7 a.m. tomorrow again, a win secures the Tri-Nations title for South Africa.....Go Bokke!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment