TESOD Start

TESOD Start
TESOD Start

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 7

It's all over, and Scott Ferguson is the 2009 Laser Standard Masters World Champion. It was a really tough fleet with several former world champions and national champions. Today there was no racing. We went out in a light and dying Northwesterly. By the time we made the committee boat, they had postponed the race due to no air. I promptly removed my lifejacket, neoprene rash guard and undershirt and took a nice nap in the cockpit in the sun. The wind started to fill around 2:30 p.m. from the north, and they moved us closer to the top of the bay. They tried to start the Apprentice Master fleet, and right after their start, there was a big right shift so they abandoned the race. The wind kept oscillating but slowly chunking to the right, but the RC refused to change the course, and when the wind came back left, they went into another sequence for the Apprentice Masters which was a general recall. Same thing, race abandoned, then general recall, then race abandoned again, and one more general recall, all for the Apprentice Masters and it was almost 4 p.m. the time limit to start a race on the last day, so we all started in, only needing a tow. Was towed in and got the boat washed off and packed up with Margaret's boat on top, and it was off to Halifax for the closing ceremony and party. Had a great time chatting with the South Africans there, especially Campbell Alexander who is Commodore of Point Yacht Club in Durban, the yacht club I grew up in and learned to sail as a junior.

What a wonderful experience this was, somewhat humbling, but everyone out there is a very good sailor. One does not spend the money to travel from Australia or New Zealand, or South Africa or Europe, if you're not a decent sailor, plus there was a level of qualifying for this Worlds. I am thrilled I did it. Lessons learned:

1. Get time in breeze and chop and sail upwind a lot, and then some more, and then some more.
2. My fitness levels need to be higher. I need to straight leg hike all the way up the weather leg, not just in stretches.
3. I still need more time in the boat, and better fitness so I can forget about sailing the boat and focus on course management, fleet management and tactics. I am not nearly close to where I was in this regard in 1981.
4. Get APS to give me a damn penney or whatever those things you wear over lifejackets are, with there logo on it. Every time I told someone I was from Annapolis, they said, "oh the home of APS".

Next year the event is in Heyling Island which apparently is close to Portsmouth. I definitely would like to do this again.

I leave tomorrow and hope to arrive in Annapolis some time on Labor Day (September 7). Take the boats to SSA, wash her off, and pack back up to go to the District Championships in West River next weekend. No rest for the weary (or the wicked). Keep checking back if you are interested, I will keep this blog updated with stuff from all the fall regattas the Dancing Bear Sailing Team will be participating in. Thanks for taking the time to follow along, and I really hope you enjoyed my somewhat warped view of the 2009 Laser Masters World Championships.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time, really enjoyed the detail in your blog. I can sympathize with your hiking/fitness comments - it seems harder as you get older to improve or maintain the fitness levels.
    Commiserations about the rugby - maybe in Hamilton next week against the AB's!

    ReplyDelete