TESOD Start

TESOD Start
TESOD Start

Friday, February 19, 2010

Light and Sloppy

Friday was cool again with partly cloudy skies and light winds from 4 to 7 knots. We were only able to get off two races today, and to be quite honest this was not a good day for the Dancing Bear. However, a bad day sailing is still better than almost any good day doing almost anything else!

We started late today, after the Radials, and after a postponement to reset the course for the continuing left shift. Set myself up for a start at the pin, and got away well second from the pin and with good speed, only to find out it was a general recall. Second try, went for the pin end again, and this time set myself up on the pin, but pulled the trigger a hair early, I could have sworn I was over early and black flagged, but for some reason I dodged the flag. I still got set into the pin by the current, and after sliding down the pin, had to duck under the transom of the pin boat tack, clear their anchor, do my 360 and then finally get under way. Worked hard to get back in touch with the fleet and passed a few boats, on the upwind by working the shifts. Solid reach and downwind to pass another couple boats, and held the upwin, actually passing one more boat. Then tried to work the left on the run to protect at the left turn to onto a reach and lost one boat. Passed a group of boats that went high on the reach and tried to work the middle on the last short upwind, big mistake, lost all the boats I passed on the last three legs in about 200 yards. Some went right and some went left and all passed me.

The last race I would just as soon forget, the RC went into sequence as I was taking a nature break. Had to gear back up, and make it to the line in time for the start, and never could set up right. The rest of the race went just like that, from bad to worse, every tack was onto a header, and every wave seemed to stop the boat dead. I guess those kinds of races happen.

Tomorrow promises more light wind and slightly warmer temperatures. I could use the warmer temperatures, but light winds are abundant back home, it would be nice for some fun wind and waves. I think the water will be flatter tomorrow, as today I think we saw a lot of residual wave action.

No comments:

Post a Comment