TESOD Start

TESOD Start
TESOD Start

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Long Day on the Water

Long day today, with the skippers meeting, getting fleet assignments, and then three long races, it was quite the day. Cold too, only in the low 50s with water temperatures not much warmer than that. Appropriate cold weather gear was essential to making it through the day. Wind was out of the north and went left through the day, starting around 15 knots for the first beat of the first race, and generally declining from there. Good size waves, but a very confused sea state, which made downwind surfing challenging and an opportunity to make big gains.

Race 1, got a good start toward the pin which I wanted since I wanted to protect the left. The first beat made it clear I had not been in a Laser much this winter as I was rusty and not up to speed. Started loosening up a little on the downwind, and passed a couple of boats, was able to hold this position through the race, and was able to pass a couple more boats on the reach leg and the short upwind to the finish. Not a great finish overall, but felt good to be back in the boat.

Race 2, OCS, ouch, had to go back and restart. It was much lighter and shiftier and I was able to work back into the fleet on the first upwind by working the middle and the shifts. Had excellent downwind speed, and good reaching speed today, and managed to pass boats on upwind, downwind and reach legs. That felt good, it really was good to be back, but this fleet is so deep with international talent at the open level and few masters, it is hard to hang, but a great challenge for us older folk.

Race 3, big lefty before the start and best option was to tack on port in the boat third and take off with clear air. I could not lay the start line on starboard. Was able to work well into the fleet again on this upwind by working the shifts. The current was ripping and I misjudged the layline to the weather mark and ended up hitting it. Had to do a penalty turn, and was happy to be able to catch and pass everyone that passed me when I did my turn. Worked the next upwind well, and lost one boat on the reach leg, but both of us separated from the boats behind us. I launched on the downwind on a good surf in the puff, but in my excitement forgot to ease vang. Was really slow downwind and lost one boat. Once I realized my mistake, eased the vang, and then was able to get a little separation on the way to the leeward mark. Worked the reach and upwind well.

Long day, last race did not end until 5 p.m., so with leaving the beach at around 10 a.m., and getting back around 6 p.m., that was a long 8 hours on the water in cold weather. Tomorrow looks to be light and a little warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment